Click here to view a map inclusive of all new developments listed below.
Coming Soon: Restaurants & Retail
- Afghani restaurant Grill Kabob is coming to the retail space in Plaza America vacated by Primo Italiano (11888 Plaza America Drive) in May 2015, according to RestonNow.
- Wegmans has signed a letter of intent to put an urban-format store in the future Reston Crescent development, a 36-acre plot of land in the northwest corner of the intersection of Reston Parkway and Sunrise Valley Drive, across from Reston Association headquarters. (RestonNow)
- Total Wine & More is replacing Staples in the Plaza America development where Whole Foods is located.
- The newly-expanded Reston Town Center (RTC) West development at 12130 Sunset Hills Road has new tenants, including Reston’s ninth Starbucks, Cooper’s Hawk Winery and Restaurant, Punjabi by Nature, The Black Squirrel, Honeygrow, BGR The Burger Joint, Mezza Mediterranean Grille and Nando’s Peri-Peri.
- Rise Well-Being Center is coming to 11130 Sunrise Valley Drive, Suite 150, as reported by RestonNow.
- LightRx is slated to occupy 11730 Plaza America Drive, Suite 120, which has been been vacated by M. Beem Jewelers (via RestonNow)
- RestonNow writes that Sweet Leaf Cafe has filed permits to open in Reston Station’s BLVD development, located at 1908 Reston Metro Plaza.
- Balducci’s is coming to Reston Town Center Market, according to RestonNow. The gourmet grocery store is scheduled to open in The Signature, located at the intersection of Reston Parkway, Freedom Drive and New Dominion Parkway.
- (Updated Jan. 11, 2018) Founding Farmers, scheduled to open
late 2016 summer 2017February 2018 has signed a lease at Reston Station, 1901 Reston Metro Plaza Drive.
- Chick-fil-a has bulldozed former Burger King property at 1490 North Point Village Center to construct a 4,700 square foot fast food restaurant with drive-through. It is scheduled to open March 2018.
New Residential Real Estate Developments
New York-based real estate development company Tishman Speyer seeks to redevelop more than 14 acres of land in the southwest quadrant of the Dulles Toll Road and Reston Parkway into Reston Crossing with six new buildings — including three residential — organized around a central park and other public amenities. —RestonNow
Atlantic Realty Companies seeks to construct a mid-rise 145-unit residential building in Reston Corner (located in the southwest corner of Reston Parkway and Sunrise Valley Drive), according to RestonNow, with up to 1,200 square feet of retail.
Developer Brookfield Properties’ local project is the Reston Crescent development, a 36-acre plot of land in the northwest corner of Reston Parkway and Sunrise Valley Drive, across from Reston Association headquarters. Currently going through the County approval process, the property is scheduled to be redeveloped to add up to 2,260 dwelling units, 1.18 million square feet of office space, up to 125,000 square feet of retail, and potentially a 160-room hotel. Six parks are also included in Brookfield’s plan. (RestonNow)
Toll Brothers plans to purchase a property at 11720 Sunrise Valley Drive that is currently home to an office building, reports the Washington Business Journal. The plans call for the building to be torn down and replaced with 54 townhomes, priced in the $800Ks. It will be located across the street from Roland Clarke Place.
Roland Clarke Place is being developed into the Sunrise Square cluster (11690 Sunrise Valley Drive), featuring 34 townhouses and 10 condos.
Rooney Properties is also buying part of The Meridian Group’s office property at 11111 Sunset Hills Road to build 175 multi-family residential units and 13 townhomes, according to CurbedDC. The developer will also have to rezone an adjacent parcel that they own at 1831 Michael Faraday Drive, which is planned to have
243 residential units “13 single-family attached and 283 multi-family dwelling units, along with up to 10,000 square feet of restaurant and retail space.The property owners say the multi-family structure would have seven stories, approximately 85 feet in height, and will have an attached seven-story parking garage.”
Kensington Senior Development LLC has received approval from the Fairfax County Planning Commission to build an assisted living facility at 11501 Sunrise Valley Drive, according to RestonNow, which would feature a two- to three-story, 65,000
91,000-square-foot Reston facility with up to 75 rooms 91 units and up to 105 125 to 135 beds, plus a parking garage. The location currently houses Good Beginnings School.
Hunters Woods at Trails Edge Senior Living Community, developed by Colts Neck Road LLC, held its groundbreaking March 30, 2017, for the 4.3-acre site at 2222 Colts Neck Rd. — across from Hunters Woods Village Center — to build apartments, along with IntegraCare’s 230,000 square foot assisted living facility, which will offer 210 senior living units — including 90 independent living units, 81 for assisted living, 24 for memory care and 15 for special needs.
The plans submitted by Renaissance Centro 1801, LLC to rezone 1801 Old Reston Avenue have been rejected, according to RestonNow. Located on the west side of Old Reston Avenue, south side of Temporary Road and East of Reston Parkway, the project seeks to replace the existing office building with a 20-story high-rise for-sale condominium containing up to 150 units (consisting of 126 market rate units and 24 workforce dwelling units).
Comstock has submitted plans to Fairfax County for a mixed-use development — known as The Promenade at Reston Station — “to be located south of Sunset Hills Road and immediately north of Reston Station and the Wiehle-Reston East Metro Station,” according to RestonNow. The plans show 500 residential units, about 91,000 square feet of ground-floor retail space and another 178,000 square feet for office or hotel use.
This is in addition to their two projects currently underway:
- Now available — BLVD | Reston Station is a 24-story, 450-unit building next to the 2,300-space metro parking garage, located at the Wiehle-Reston Station
- Comstock is in the final stages of purchasing the Sunset Hills Professional Park (a one-story office condo complex) located at Sunset Hills Road and Wiehle Avenue, which will be developed into the 400-unit Momentum Condominiums. The tower will include ground floor retail, a wide boulevard with trees, residential and office.
Located at the intersection of Verisign Way and Woodland Park Road, Woodland Park Waterview will bring 295 apartments in a five-story building to wrap around the parking garage currently in the center of the development; 56 two-over-two, townhouse-style multifamily units; and 32 attached, four-story townhouses.
Rubenstein Partners announced in early November 2016 that it has purchased the 180,000 sqft. five-story building at 11493 Sunset Hills Road for $18.6 million. Unisys Corp. recently vacated the building after more than 10 years. The building will get a fitness center, conference center and food service areas in hopes of attracting tech companies. —RestonNow
Lake Anne Fellowship House (11405 North Shore Drive), an affordable housing senior development, is moving forward with its plans. “The new plans call for replacing all 240 apartment units in the existing 1970s-era facility. Amenities include a social hall, crafts room, fitness room, wellness center, a game room, two plazas and community gardens,” reports RestonNow. “The remainder of the property will include up to 74 townhouses … [with] garages and surface parking for visitors.”
The overall plan for the Vornado Development plan has been approved by the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors. It calls to keep the current office buildings, but replace open space and surface parking with the seven-story, 200-unit residential building (see next paragraph) with an interior courtyard and underground parking; a 24-story, 300-unit residential building; a 22-story, 385,000-square-foot office building; and a 14-story, 175-room hotel. There would also be retail in the first three floors of several buildings, plus a central plaza and promenade, as well as five park areas. Residents of the development will also be Reston Association members.
- (Updated Dec. 9, 2016) Vornado Realty Trust has received approval from the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors to build Lincoln Commerce Park at 1831 Wiehle, located at the intersection of Commerce Park Drive, Association Drive and Sunrise Valley Drive. The firm developing the Lincoln is Wiehle Station Ventures LLC.
The JBG Companies has two new developments in Reston:
- Reston Heights Phase II (VY) (11790 Sunrise Valley Dr.) will feature 385 new apartments and 89,000 square feet of retail. It is estimated to deliver by 2017.
- Reston Town Center (RTC) West (12100 Sunset Hills Road, formerly known as Reston Executive Center) will offer 40,000 square foot retail and office development at Sunset Hills Road and Town Center Parkway. The first phase entails 40,000 square feet of retail and the refurbishment of three existing office buildings. The second phase will feature two residential buildings and three office buildings. There will be a total of 675,000 square feet of residential space, 650,000 square feet of office space and approximately 700 residential units.
- JBG’s Wiehle-Reston East site with 11.5 acres of space hits the market (Curbed DC)
The developer of The Harrison is planning another luxury building next door featuring 110-120 luxury condos at 1801 Old Reston Ave.
Bozzuto Development Co. and landowner Chuck Veatch have started work on a 417,257-square-foot, 421-unit multifamily building with 10,000 square feet of retail on a 5.5-acre site adjacent to Comstock’s Reston Station. The parcel is located in the 11400 block of Sunset Hill Road and is the former home of Reston Mini-Storage.
(Updated April 21, 2017) Fairfax County Supervisor Cathy Hudgins issued a news release [April 20] announcing the cancellation of a April 25 community meeting on the revised redevelopment proposal for St John’s Wood apartments. According to the release, Bozzuto Development Company, Inc. has decided to “indefinitely defer the application for the redevelopment of the St John’s Wood apartment complex.”
The Jefferson Apartment Group’s (JAG) plans to redevelop Tall Oaks Village Center into 156 homes (a mix of townhomes, 2-over-2 townhomes and multifamily buildings),exercise and playground equipment, a putting green, 8,500 square feet of retail and about 6,000 square feet of office space.
(Updated Nov. 21, 2016 via RestonNow) Pulte Homes has received approval from the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors to replace a single-story office building and a parking lot with 44 residences, to be known as Lofts at Reston Station, of
42 stacked townhouses (2-over-2) 12 2-over-2 townhouses and 32 multifamily units at 1825 Michael Faraday Drive.
Boston Properties is building 17FIFTY, a 17-story, 270,000 sqft mixed-use project at 1750 Presidents St. in Reston Town Center, which should deliver in 2018.
New Commercial Real Estate Developments
Coming soon from Akridge and RTC Partnership LLC — One Reston Town Center: Located at 1760 Reston Pkwy., plans call for a 23-story, 420,000 sqft building, which will replace the five-story office building currently standing on the site. The building will feature a six-story glass enclosed atrium lobby; a 30,000 sqft landscaped, outdoor plaza; private rooftop lounge and terraces; and fitness facility. There will also be 15,000 sqft of retail space, eight high-speed elevators and a six-level garage. —RestonNow.com.
Boston Properties has formed a joint venture to acquire Fountain Square, an 811,000-square-foot, three-building complex in Reston Town Center.
Defense contractor General Dynamics envisions one five-story building nestled into a wooded area off Sunset Hills Road in Reston for its new headquarters. General Dynamics recently announced it intends to build a 190,000-square-foot headquarters on a 22-acre lot currently owned by Boston Properties. The site is at 11011 Sunset Hills, between Wiehle Avenue and Hunter Mill Road and bordered on one edge by the W&OD Trail.
Fairfax County is preparing for the redevelopment 49 acres from New Dominion Parkway to Bowman Town Drive and Town Center Parkway to Fountain Drive. The area encompasses the current Reston Regional Library, the Embry Rucker Community Shelter, the North County Human Services Center and the former Cameron Glen Care Center site.
The county eventually envisions a mixed-use district, with renovated or relocated space for the library and shelter, as well as offices, hotels, a performing arts center and at least 1,000 new residences. The Fairfax County Park Authority also plans to build an indoor pool and recreation center at Town Center North.
INGH Properties II has submitted a special exception to develop an assisted living facility, with memory care services consisting of 134 units at 10819 Leesburg Pike.
- Update here (July 6, 2016) The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is seeking a zoning change in order to build a 16,558-square-foot location at Crowell and Hunter Mill roads, according to RestonNow. The church plans a one-story building with 292 seats and 233 parking spots.
- At 1831 Wiehle Ave., a 75,000-square-foot office building will be converted into a mixed-use building with 504 multi-family residential units and up to 61,000-square-feet of retail.
- Five hundred apartments, a 175-room hotel, roughly 400,000-square-feet of office, and ground-floor retail are coming to the sites of 1850 Centennial Park Drive, 11400 Commerce Park Drive and 11440 Commerce Park Drive, respectively.
Recently opened (within the last three months)
- Orangetheory Fitness in the Aperture — 11410 Reston Station Blvd.
- Chef on Wheels — 1810 Michael Faraday Drive
- Make Offices — Reston Town Center, 12110 Sunset Hills Road, Suite 600
- Salon Nordine & Day Spa — Relocated to Reston Station
- Kiln & Co. Pottery — Lake Anne Plaza, 1631 Washington Plaza N.
- PokeHub — Reston Town Center, 11990 Market St.
- Neyla Mediterranean Bistro, located at 11898 Market St. in Reston Town Center, has closed.
- Appalachian Spring is leaving Reston Town Center by the end of January 2018
- Ravel Dance Studio is moving from North Point Village Center to The Spectrum in January 2018
- M&S Grill in Reston Town Center has closed
- Ann Taylor‘s Reston Town Center location closed Dec. 23, 2017
Updated Jan. 11, 2018