Click here to view a map inclusive of all new developments listed below.
Coming Soon: Restaurants & Retail
- Lululemon is opening at Reston Town Center (11957 Market St.) where bebe was previously located.
- New Trail Cycling Studio will open at Lake Anne Plaza in late summer at 1614 Washington Plaza, according to RestonNow.
- An Inova Urgent Care center is coming to 1488 North Point Village Center, reports RestonNow. It is expected to open in June or July.
- Muse PaintBar and Mason’s Famous Lobster Rolls are coming to Reston Town Center, according to RestonNow. Muse will occupy the retail space of The Bike Line, which has relocated to 11150 Sunset Hills Road. Mason’s will occupy the Red Velvet Cupcakery (11939 Democracy Drive) space, which has closed.
- &pizza is coming this fall to 1818 Library St. in Reston Town Center, RestonNow reports. The space was previously occupied by Teavana.
- Afghani restaurant Grill Kabob is coming to the retail space in Plaza America vacated by Primo Italiano (11888 Plaza America Drive) in May 2015, according to RestonNow.
- Wegmans has signed a letter of intent to put an urban-format store in the future Reston Crescent development (see below), a 36-acre plot of land in the northwest corner of the intersection of Reston Parkway and Sunrise Valley Drive, across from Reston Association headquarters. (RestonNow)
- The newly-expanded Reston Town Center (RTC) West development at 12130 Sunset Hills Road has new tenants, including Reston’s ninth Starbucks, Cooper’s Hawk Winery and Restaurant, Punjabi by Nature, The Black Squirrel, Honeygrow, BGR The Burger Joint, Mezza Mediterranean Grille and Nando’s Peri-Peri.
- LightRx is slated to occupy 11730 Plaza America Drive, Suite 120, which has been been vacated by M. Beem Jewelers. (RestonNow)
- Balducci’s will open on June 22 in The Signature
in May, according to RestonNow, located at the intersection of Reston Parkway, Freedom Drive and New Dominion Parkway.
New Residential Real Estate Developments
Fairfax County published a piece about the new 8.4 acre Reston Station Promenade, planned for across the street from Reston Station and the metro (corner of Sunset Hills Road and Wiehle Avenue). The property currently houses 30 office condos, a two-story medical building and a Bank of America. According to Fairfax County, “the redevelopment plan replaces these low-rise, suburban buildings with four new high-rise buildings that include up to 80,000 square feet in ground-floor retail:
- Two residential building with up to 540 units.
- 14-story office with 300,000 square feet.
- 23-story, 280-room hotel with up to 80 private residences.
The developer is also actively seeking a boutique music and entertainment venue for the development.”
Boston Properties is building 17FIFTY, a 17-story, 270,000 sqft mixed-use project at 1750 Presidents St. in Reston Town Center. Leidos has signed a contract to occupy the entire building for its new headquarters come 2020, according to RestonNow. The building will have 8,000 square feet of retail space and a four-floor below-grade parking garage. Fannie Mae will lease 850,000 square feet in the future Reston Gateway — also owned by Boston Properties — a 27-acre project that could include up to 3.5 million square feet of transit-oriented development.
New York-based real estate development company Tishman Speyer seeks to redevelop more than 14 acres of land in the southwest quadrant of the Dulles Toll Road and Reston Parkway into Reston Crossing with six new buildings — including three residential — organized around a central park and other public amenities. —RestonNow
Atlantic Realty Companies seeks to construct a mid-rise 145-unit residential building in Reston Corner (located in the southwest corner of Reston Parkway and Sunrise Valley Drive), according to RestonNow, with up to 1,200 square feet of retail.
Developer Brookfield Properties’ local project is Reston Crescent, a 36-acre plot of land in the northwest corner of Reston Parkway and Sunrise Valley Drive, across from Reston Association headquarters. The area is scheduled to be redeveloped into eight blocks, which will add up to 2,260 dwelling units,
1.18 1.9 million square feet of office space, up to 125,000 380,000 sqft of retail, potentially a 125,000 sqft hotel (160 rooms) and 250,000 sqft for assisted living, plus “more open spaces and urban parks, including a 0.3-acre neighborhood park, a 0.3-acre dog park and other areas” six parks are also included in Brookfield’s plan (RestonNow). This is the same development where Wegmans intends to put an urban-format store.
Toll Brothers plans to purchase a property at 11720 Sunrise Valley Drive that is currently home to an office building, reports the Washington Business Journal. The plans call for the building to be torn down and replaced with 54 townhomes, priced in the $800Ks. It will be located across the street from Roland Clarke Place.
Roland Clarke Place is being developed into the Sunrise Square cluster (11690 Sunrise Valley Drive), featuring 34 townhouses and 10 condos.
Rooney Properties is also buying part of The Meridian Group’s office property at 11111 Sunset Hills Road to build 175 multi-family residential units and 13 townhomes, according to CurbedDC. The developer will also have to rezone an adjacent parcel that they own at 1831 Michael Faraday Drive, which is planned to have
243 residential units “13 single-family attached and 283 multi-family dwelling units, along with up to 10,000 square feet of restaurant and retail space.The property owners say the multi-family structure would have seven stories, approximately 85 feet in height, and will have an attached seven-story parking garage.”
Kensington Senior Development LLC has received approval from the Fairfax County Planning Commission to build an assisted living facility at 11501 Sunrise Valley Drive, according to RestonNow, which would feature a two- to three-story, 65,000
91,000-square-foot Reston facility with up to 91 rooms 75 rooms 91 units and up to 125 beds 105 125 to 135 beds, plus a parking garage. However, the Board of Supervisors has deferred making a decision about the project for a second time, as of Feb. 7. The decision has been delayed until the Feb. 20 meeting for reasons not given.
Hunters Woods at Trails Edge Senior Living Community, developed by Colts Neck Road LLC, held its groundbreaking March 30, 2017, for the 4.3-acre site at 2222 Colts Neck Rd. — across from Hunters Woods Village Center — to build apartments, along with IntegraCare’s 230,000 square foot assisted living facility, which will offer 210 senior living units — including 90 independent living units, 81 for assisted living, 24 for memory care and 15 for special needs.
The plans submitted by Renaissance Centro 1801, LLC to rezone 1801 Old Reston Avenue have been approved by the Fairfax County Planning Commission and Board of Supervisors, according to RestonNow. Located on the west side of Old Reston Avenue, south side of Temporary Road and East of Reston Parkway, the project seeks to replace the existing three-story office building with a 20-story high-rise for-sale condominium containing up to 150 units (consisting of 126 market rate units and 24 workforce dwelling units). Residents will have the option of buying one parking space per unit.
Comstock has submitted plans to Fairfax County for a mixed-use development — known as The Promenade at Reston Station — “to be located south of Sunset Hills Road and immediately north of Reston Station and the Wiehle-Reston East Metro Station,” according to RestonNow. The plans show 500 residential units, about 91,000 square feet of ground-floor retail space and another 178,000 square feet for office or hotel use.
“Comstock Partners plans to begin construction this spring on a $95 million, 180,000-square-foot trophy-class office building — known as 1906 Reston Metro Plaza — at its massive Reston Station development, with completion slated for January 2020,” according to the Washington Business Journal. “The [Reston Station] 16-story, 365,000-square-foot trophy-class office tower — notable for its angular shape and Dulles Toll Road visibility — delivered late last year but so far has one only lease, with co-working provider Spaces taking about 40,000 square feet. … Comstock said it expects to begin construction next year on the third office building: a 250,000-square-foot tower called 1902 Reston Metro Plaza.”
This is in addition to their two projects currently underway:
- Now available — BLVD | Reston Station is a 24-story, 450-unit building next to the 2,300-space metro parking garage, located at the Wiehle-Reston Station
- Comstock is in the final stages of purchasing the Sunset Hills Professional Park (a one-story office condo complex) located at Sunset Hills Road and Wiehle Avenue, which will be developed into the 400-unit Momentum Condominiums. The tower will include ground floor retail, a wide boulevard with trees, residential and office.
Located at the intersection of Verisign Way and Woodland Park Road, Woodland Park Waterview will bring 295 apartments in a five-story building to wrap around the parking garage currently in the center of the development; 56 two-over-two, townhouse-style multifamily units; and 32 attached, four-story townhouses.
Rubenstein Partners announced in early November 2016 that it has purchased the 180,000 sqft. five-story building at 11493 Sunset Hills Road for $18.6 million. Unisys Corp. recently vacated the building after more than 10 years. The building will get a fitness center, conference center and food service areas in hopes of attracting tech companies. —RestonNow
Lake Anne Fellowship House (11405 North Shore Drive), an affordable housing senior development, is moving forward with its plans. “The new plans call for replacing all 240 apartment units in the existing 1970s-era facility. Amenities include a social hall, crafts room, fitness room, wellness center, a game room, two plazas and community gardens,” reports RestonNow. “The remainder of the property will include up to 74 townhouses … [with] garages and surface parking for visitors.”
The overall plan for the Vornado Development plan has been approved by the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors. It calls to keep the current office buildings, but replace open space and surface parking with the seven-story, 200-unit residential building (see next paragraph) with an interior courtyard and underground parking; a 24-story, 300-unit residential building; a 22-story, 385,000-square-foot office building; and a 14-story, 175-room hotel. There would also be retail in the first three floors of several buildings, plus a central plaza and promenade, as well as five park areas. Residents of the development will also be Reston Association members.
- (Updated Dec. 9, 2016) Vornado Realty Trust has received approval from the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors to build Lincoln Commerce Park at 1831 Wiehle, located at the intersection of Commerce Park Drive, Association Drive and Sunrise Valley Drive. The firm developing the Lincoln is Wiehle Station Ventures LLC.
The JBG Companies has two new developments in Reston:
- Reston Heights Phase II (VY) (11830 Sunrise Valley Dr.) will feature 385 new apartments (one, two and three-bedroom units), with rents ranging from $1,800 to $3,320. The development also has 89,000 square feet of retail, featuring Super Chicken, Allure Nails, Signature Thai and Reston Kabob. VY opened in February 2018.
- Reston Town Center (RTC) West (12100 Sunset Hills Road, formerly known as Reston Executive Center) will offer 40,000 square foot retail and office development at Sunset Hills Road and Town Center Parkway. The first phase entails 40,000 square feet of retail and the refurbishment of three existing office buildings. The second phase will feature two residential buildings and three office buildings. There will be a total of 675,000 square feet of residential space, 650,000 square feet of office space and approximately 700 residential units.
- JBG’s Wiehle-Reston East site with 11.5 acres of space hits the market (via Curbed DC)
The developer of The Harrison is planning another luxury building next door featuring 110-120 luxury condos at 1801 Old Reston Ave.
Bozzuto Development Co. and landowner Chuck Veatch have started work on a 417,257-square-foot, 421-unit multifamily building with 10,000 square feet of retail on a 5.5-acre site adjacent to Comstock’s Reston Station. The parcel is located in the 11400 block of Sunset Hill Road and is the former home of Reston Mini-Storage.
(Updated April 21, 2017) Fairfax County Supervisor Cathy Hudgins issued a news release [April 20] announcing the cancellation of a April 25 community meeting on the revised redevelopment proposal for St John’s Wood apartments. According to the release, Bozzuto Development Company, Inc. has decided to “indefinitely defer the application for the redevelopment of the St John’s Wood apartment complex.”
The Jefferson Apartment Group’s (JAG) plans to redevelop Tall Oaks Village Center into 156 homes (a mix of townhomes, 2-over-2 townhomes and multifamily buildings),exercise and playground equipment, a putting green, 8,500 square feet of retail and about 6,000 square feet of office space.
(Updated Nov. 21, 2016 via RestonNow) Pulte Homes has received approval from the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors to replace a single-story office building and a parking lot with 44 residences, to be known as Lofts at Reston Station, of
42 stacked townhouses (2-over-2) 12 2-over-2 townhouses and 32 multifamily units at 1825 Michael Faraday Drive.
New Commercial Real Estate Developments
The Fairfax County Board of Supervisors approved plans May 15 to replace a parking lot in Lake Fairfax Business Park with a 138-room, four-story hotel, as proposed by TH Holding Company. —RestonNow
Coming soon from Akridge and RTC Partnership LLC — One Reston Town Center: Located at 1760 Reston Pkwy., plans call for a 23-story, 420,000 sqft building, which will replace the five-story office building currently standing on the site. The building will feature a six-story glass enclosed atrium lobby; a 30,000 sqft landscaped, outdoor plaza; private rooftop lounge and terraces; and fitness facility. There will also be 15,000 sqft of retail space, eight high-speed elevators and a six-level garage. —RestonNow.com.
Defense contractor General Dynamics announced it intends to build a 190,000-square-foot headquarters on a 22-acre lot currently owned by Boston Properties. The site is at 11011 Sunset Hills, between Wiehle Avenue and Hunter Mill Road and bordered on one edge by the W&OD Trail.
Fairfax County is preparing for the redevelopment 49 acres from New Dominion Parkway to Bowman Town Drive and Town Center Parkway to Fountain Drive. The area encompasses the current Reston Regional Library, the Embry Rucker Community Shelter, the North County Human Services Center and the former Cameron Glen Care Center site.
The county eventually envisions a mixed-use district, with renovated or relocated space for the library and shelter, as well as offices, hotels, a performing arts center and at least 1,000 new residences. The Fairfax County Park Authority also plans to build an indoor pool and recreation center at Town Center North.
INGH Properties II has submitted a special exception to develop an assisted living facility, with memory care services consisting of 134 units at 10819 Leesburg Pike.
- Update here (July 6, 2016) The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is seeking a zoning change in order to build a 16,558-square-foot location at Crowell and Hunter Mill roads, according to RestonNow. The church plans a one-story building with 292 seats and 233 parking spots.
- At 1831 Wiehle Ave., a 75,000-square-foot office building will be converted into a mixed-use building with 504 multi-family residential units and up to 61,000-square-feet of retail.
- Five hundred apartments, a 175-room hotel, roughly 400,000-square-feet of office, and ground-floor retail are coming to the sites of 1850 Centennial Park Drive, 11400 Commerce Park Drive and 11440 Commerce Park Drive, respectively.
Recently opened (within the last three months)
- J-Petal — 2260 Hunter Woods
- Chick-fil-a — 1494 North Point Village Center
- Founding Farmers — Reston Station, 1901 Reston Metro Plaza Drive
- Sweet Leaf Cafe — Reston Station, 1908 Reston Metro Plaza
- Total Wine & More — in the Plaza America development, 11620 Plaza America Drive
- Rise Well-Being Center — 11130 Sunrise Valley Drive, Suite 150
- Orangetheory Fitness in the Aperture — 11410 Reston Station Blvd.
- Chef on Wheels — 1810 Michael Faraday Drive
- Make Offices — Reston Town Center, 12110 Sunset Hills Road, Suite 600
- Salon Nordine & Day Spa — Relocated to Reston Station, 11389 Reston Station Blvd, Suite 1A
- Kiln & Co. Pottery — Lake Anne Plaza, 1631 Washington Plaza N.
- PokeHub — Reston Town Center, 11990 Market St.
- Red Velvet Cupcakery, at Reston Town Center
- Neyla Mediterranean Bistro, located at 11898 Market St. in Reston Town Center, has closed.
- Appalachian Spring has Reston Town Center, as of February 2018
- Ravel Dance Studio is moving from North Point Village Center to The Spectrum in January 2018
- M&S Grill in Reston Town Center has closed
- Ann Taylor‘s Reston Town Center location closed Dec. 23, 2017
Updated June 7, 2018