In addition to raking leaves and winterizing your lawn, this is a great time to go through your home maintenance checklist. Minor repairs and preparations can keep your home safe and warm for the upcoming winter months.
- Close and drain hose bibs.
- Rake debris away from side of house and other structures.
- Clean out gutters, downspout elbows, and check for roof leaks.
- Check foundation and repair any cracks.
- Clean around air conditioner compressor.
- Trim any trees or shrubs that touch house.
- Inspect and replace weatherstripping; re-caulk if needed.
- Repair torn screens; inspect and clean storm windows.
- Clean under decks and porches.
- Inspect seals and clean out basement window wells.
- Check external lights, especially by stairs; replace burnt out bulbs.
- Run all gas-powered lawn equipment until the fuel is gone.
- Check the dryer vent to make sure it is clear.
- Clean and reverse the ceiling fans so the blades push air up instead of down.
- Replace batteries in the smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Test alarms to be sure they are working properly.
- Replace air filters in furnace.
- Adjust thermostat settings for fall/winter temperatures.
- Stock emergency supplies in case the power (and heat) goes out.
Please let me know if you need any contractor referrals for maintenance or other household “To Do” list items. I am there when it counts.